Boatyard; does not necessarily have to be boatyard blues. In Lagos they have a different spin and have added nice showers and more than decent cafe/bar/restaurant on the boatyard. When Anti-fouling and other items on the to-do list turns boring, a cold beer is close. More yards should be like Sopromar In summary; Sopromar boat yard in Lagos (PT) is a great place either for a short fixing stopover or to leave your boat on shore for an undefined period. Warning given, what follows is a highly boat-nerdy post that will interest some and have a good potential to bore others.It has been said that long distance cruising is just an excellent opportunity to do maintenance in exotic places. If that is the case, it is a point to find the better exotic places.
The Sopromar yard in Lagos located in the south western corner of Portugal, fits the bill well. It is also been called “port velcro” because sailors tend to gravitate back in the off-season periods. As for me, I find it one of the more professionally managed and best boat yards I have experienced. It does not imply that this is the only one around, but the points of these lines is to make you aware of Sopromar and its qualities. So what qualities does Sopromar hold? It is a combination of a good hard-standing yard, supplemented by an excellent chandlery, many in-house trades, and operated by great people that seem to like what they do. We found the following:
- Large travel lift- Clean organised hard standing area that is well fenced and protected.
- Sailing yachts may be left with the mast standing.
- Superbly stocked chandlery with knowledgeable and pleasant staff, willing to order things if they do not have in stock
- We wanted items that were not available, and went online to svb.de on day 1. The good arrived by DHL at day 4. Freight cost was very reasonable at EUR 9 for up to 31 kg.-If you need assistance with work you vessel or special parts machined, Sopromar has many trades in-house; like stainless welding, woodwork, GRP, engine, painting.
- Permit to work on your vessel
- Permit to live aboard while working or when you return or visit the vessel during the off-season period.
- Availability of modern and clean toilets and showers, included
- It appears that there might be rooms for rent at the yard if you prefer not to stay on the boat
- Ample water and electricity posts, included
- Very decent cafe/bar/restaurant at the yard
If we would wish for something in addition, it would be washing machines and dryers, which is currently not at the yard.Lagos is a very charming town and within easy walking distance. Faro airport is close and well served by train and bus. If you come for a quick fix before heading further south or east into the Med. or for a secure place to leave your boat, I wish you will find it to your liking. Disclosure: I did not receive favours of any kind for writing the above. I am simply another happy customer.